3.8K views

My side by side Kitchenaid fridge is only 7 years old and Kitchenaid no longer make the parts required to fix it!

Cannot get hold of the Main Relay Control board part # w1021****.

It is only possible to have this repaired but this means no fridge . Thanks Kitchenaid so happy that I spent over $5,000 on a fridge that is now USELESS. A totally irresponsible company that is only concerned with profit and wants me to buy a whole new fridge rather that providing parts to repair the fridge i have.

This fridge has caused trouble for years as it does not like the heat and has cost me lots of money to get it working.

Comments

i agree with you. I have been very unhappy with my kitchen aid 48 inch. It's been a lemon since the start.

SAME PROBLEM.BS. Kichenaid was believed to be top product.THEY SUCK

Same as my 9 year old Maytag worst customer service ever

#1193718

Anyone with issues for ANY circuit board for ANY appliance can contact us at boardbusterz.com for repair. It's only $75 for the lower model and $99 for the higher model.

We have experienced the same problem and about the same time

when we started having problems with main board. Kitchen Aid

would not stand behind their 5,500.00 refrigerator.

Will sell you

a new one for 7,000.00.

Totally fed up and disgusted with this

company. Never again will we buy a Kitchen Aid Product.

Sincerely, Eileen Martin

I was able to find someone to fix the motherboard no problem

#1119799
@PissedConsumer1075184

Where?

Same here. I need to replace the 7 year old refrigerator because they don't make the door anymore and the ice and water don't work.

I am currently taking Whirpool to court over the same issue. Fridge lasted less than 8 years and was told that the facility building the mother boards was destroyed in the Japanese Tsuname of 2011.

I asked if Whirlpool/Kitchen Aid had subcontracted another supplier to produce the part and they declined to comment. Totally irresponsible for a product that cost nearly $8,000 Canadian dollars.

@PissedConsumer1060808

Are you part of a class action lawsuit? I have the same problem with my 7 year old fridge. They said I had to buy a new fridge which is $10,000

@PissedConsumer1060808

our circuit board just went bad after 8 years. also, our ice maker hasn't worked pretty much since day 1.

had it repaired handful of times (hundreds of dollars). have been reading on consumer affairs hundreds and hundreds of complaints over same issues.

would you please keep us posted on outcome of your legal claim? Thank you.

Our side-by-side counter-depth *** out. We paid more than other comparables, bc I thought KitchenAid was an upgraded brand? Refrigerators should last longer than 7-8 years!

I have the same problem with my KA frig. I just spent $300 for a service call and a rebuilt circuit board.

It did not fix the problem. I also just replaced my 8 y/o KA dishwasher.

It fell apart; the door cables broke, the inside racks deteriorated, etc. Every KA appliance I have owned is junk.

I own BoardRestored.com an appliance control board repair company that specializes in discontinued parts. We see these boards Very often!

We can help if you need to have your Kitchenaid board rebuilt.

Search for either your part number for model number and let me know if you don't see your's listed.

Thanks,

Andy

@Shakendra Myq

I had the same problem and was quoted the same prices and lead times. I found a website (stevejenkins.com) which has step by step instructions for purchasing the components to repair the fridge for less than $20 - no kidding.

It's one capacitor and one relay switch. I purchased the capacitor and relay switch on amazon and it was delivered the next day.

I pulled out my control board tonight, de-soldered the bad parts, re-soldered in the new one, clipped the board back in, connected the wiring harnesses, and my fridge was purring like a kitten in less than an hour. Anyone can do this with even minimal handyman skills.

@PissedConsumer934503

EasyFix,

Congratulations on your repair! Well done!

I am familiar with the blog you mentioned.

Steve has such an interesting story.

What you say is true, most of the time it is something fairly straight-forward as you described especially on these boards. If one is willing, able, and confident to do the repair, go for it. However, I've found that the majority of my customers are appliance repair technicians (who may have the competency but not the time) or DIY'rs who do not want to learn to solder on a $800+ discontinued board.

These boards are routinely found in $8-10k built in fridges so I can understand the hesitancy.

Nice Job!

@PissedConsumer934503

We're having same issues. logged into stevejenkins.com and he does a fantastic job explaining what could be wrong and the fix.

i appreciate wholeheartedly that you posted his website. the thought of having a refrigerator you paid $6,000 for 8 years ago go bad does not sit well.

@Shakendra Myq

I googled you and didn't find a website.

Same thing happened to me. Horrible company.

They sent the control board out to be fixed and a couple of weeks later they said it could not be repaired. They do not make the part anymore and they are still selling the same model of refrigerator. I called Kitchen aid several times and was told someone would get back to me. Still waiting.

They should be sued.

They knowingly sell a refrigerator tha can not be fixed. My refrigerator was only 4 years old!

Ughh. Repair guy told me this same story today.

Fridge is 7 years old, and no replacement part. I went online to see if what he was telling me is true, so thank you all for at least confirming that the repair guy is telling me the truth.

I agree - Kitchen Aid should be ashamed.

KitchenAid Reviews