Allentown, Pennsylvania
Featured Not resolved
3.0
Style and Design

I purchased the KitchenAid Buillt-In Combination Electric Convection Oven and Microwave Oven in the summer of 2012.Last night I ran the self-cleaning cycle for perhaps the second or third time since I have owned the oven.

At 2 1/4 hrs. into the cycle, we heard a loud explosion and glass breaking. The inside glass door had shattered and was spilling out onto our floors from the bottom of the oven.

My research shows I am not the only owner who has experienced this problem with Kitchen Aid ovens.I will be contacting Kitchen Aid, even though I have an extended warranty on this appliance.

Review about: Kitchenaid Microwave.

Reason of review: Damaged or defective.

Preferred solution: Let the company propose a solution.

I didn't like: Poor quality, Poor quality of inside glass door.

Had an Experience with Kitchenaid?

Comments

OldTech
London, Ontario, Canada #926199

Hello!I'm an appliance tech of 12 years.

I don't represent any brand. The problem you had with the door glass is not uncommon to any brand. The reason it happens is usually the glass being poorly tempered (which is supplied by some glass company to Whirlpool), or the glass was installed a bit too tight during assembly.

I have replaced probably 30+ glass panels, and it is not particular to any brand, but more often to newer products that mount the glass with adhesive, which doesn't allow the glass to expand and contract with heating and cooling cycles.Self clean puts glass to the limit of its expansion range, and it's typically when glass breaks.