Kitchenaid - No longer makes main circuit board for fridge

My side by side Kitchenaid fridge is only 7 years old and Kitchenaid no longer make the parts required to fix it!

Cannot get hold of the Main Relay Control board part # w10219463.

It is only possible to have this repaired but this means no fridge . Thanks Kitchenaid so happy that I spent over $5,000 on a fridge that is now USELESS. A totally irresponsible company that is only concerned with profit and wants me to buy a whole new fridge rather that providing parts to repair the fridge i have.

This fridge has caused trouble for years as it does not like the heat and has cost me lots of money to get it working.

More Review Details

Helpful? 17 Yes 17 0 No 0
Had the same issue 19 Yes 19
Comment as anonymous As anonymous or Log in
OR Is it your business? Respond to your
customers as verified company representative.
Apply for a Free Plan

Aug 02 #1193718 Palm Beach Gardens, Florida

Anyone with issues for ANY circuit board for ANY appliance can contact us at boardbusterz.com for repair. It's only $75 for the lower model and $99 for the higher model.

Jan 07 #1090786

We have experienced the same problem and about the same time
when we started having problems with main board. Kitchen Aid
would not stand behind their 5,500.00 refrigerator. Will sell you
a new one for 7,000.00. Totally fed up and disgusted with this
company. Never again will we buy a Kitchen Aid Product.
Sincerely, Eileen Martin

Dec 07, 2015 #1075184

I was able to find someone to fix the motherboard no problem

Feb 29 #1119799

Where?

aleida1004

Nov 24, 2015 #1068994 Orland Park, Illinois

Same here. I need to replace the 7 year old refrigerator because they don't make the door anymore and the ice and water don't work.

Nov 09, 2015 #1060808

I am currently taking Whirpool to court over the same issue. Fridge lasted less than 8 years and was told that the facility building the mother boards was destroyed in the Japanese Tsuname of 2011. I asked if Whirlpool/Kitchen Aid had subcontracted another supplier to produce the part and they declined to comment. Totally irresponsible for a product that cost nearly $8,000 Canadian dollars.

aleida1004

Nov 24, 2015 #1069008 Orland Park, Illinois

Are you part of a class action lawsuit? I have the same problem with my 7 year old fridge. They said I had to buy a new fridge which is $10,000

Dec 03, 2015 #1073256

our circuit board just went bad after 8 years. also, our ice maker hasn't worked pretty much since day 1. had it repaired handful of times (hundreds of dollars). have been reading on consumer affairs hundreds and hundreds of complaints over same issues. would you please keep us posted on outcome of your legal claim? Thank you.

Oct 17, 2015 #1050080

Our side-by-side counter-depth crapped out. We paid more than other comparables, bc I thought KitchenAid was an upgraded brand? Refrigerators should last longer than 7-8 years!

Jul 08, 2015 #1005205

I have the same problem with my KA frig. I just spent $300 for a service call and a rebuilt circuit board. It did not fix the problem. I also just replaced my 8 y/o KA dishwasher. It fell apart; the door cables broke, the inside racks deteriorated, etc. Every KA appliance I have owned is junk.

BoardRestored

Dec 05, 2014 #911638

I own BoardRestored.com an appliance control board repair company that specializes in discontinued parts. We see these boards Very often! We can help if you need to have your Kitchenaid board rebuilt.
Search for either your part number for model number and let me know if you don't see your's listed.
Thanks,
Andy

EasyFix

Jan 22, 2015 #934503 West Covina, California

I had the same problem and was quoted the same prices and lead times. I found a website (stevejenkins.com) which has step by step instructions for purchasing the components to repair the fridge for less than $20 - no kidding. It's one capacitor and one relay switch. I purchased the capacitor and relay switch on amazon and it was delivered the next day. I pulled out my control board tonight, de-soldered the bad parts, re-soldered in the new one, clipped the board back in, connected the wiring harnesses, and my fridge was purring like a kitten in less than an hour. Anyone can do this with even minimal handyman skills.

BoardRestored

Jan 22, 2015 #934573

EasyFix,
Congratulations on your repair! Well done!
I am familiar with the blog you mentioned. Steve has such an interesting story.
What you say is true, most of the time it is something fairly straight-forward as you described especially on these boards. If one is willing, able, and confident to do the repair, go for it. However, I've found that the majority of my customers are appliance repair technicians (who may have the competency but not the time) or DIY'rs who do not want to learn to solder on a $800+ discontinued board. These boards are routinely found in $8-10k built in fridges so I can understand the hesitancy.
Nice Job!

Dec 03, 2015 #1073321

We're having same issues. logged into stevejenkins.com and he does a fantastic job explaining what could be wrong and the fix. i appreciate wholeheartedly that you posted his website. the thought of having a refrigerator you paid $6,000 for 8 years ago go bad does not sit well.

Dec 03, 2015 #1073259

I googled you and didn't find a website.

sweebee54

Nov 28, 2014 #907188 Chagrin Falls, Ohio

Same thing happened to me. Horrible company. They sent the control board out to be fixed and a couple of weeks later they said it could not be repaired. They do not make the part anymore and they are still selling the same model of refrigerator. I called Kitchen aid several times and was told someone would get back to me. Still waiting. They should be sued. They knowingly sell a refrigerator tha can not be fixed. My refrigerator was only 4 years old!

DD

Aug 01, 2014 #849833

Ughh. Repair guy told me this same story today. Fridge is 7 years old, and no replacement part. I went online to see if what he was telling me is true, so thank you all for at least confirming that the repair guy is telling me the truth. I agree - Kitchen Aid should be ashamed.

3 0 Reply
RG

Jun 10, 2014 #825785 New York, New York

I just experienced the exact same problem with 7-year-old side by side Kitchen Aid! I had to pay more than $650 to get the control board fixed (plus the expense of having to toss spoiled food and two weeks without a refrigerator). I am furious and thinking of filing a lawsuit.

leon

Apr 03, 2014 #801666

Same thing happened to me, my built-in Kitchenaid refrigerator's main board is not working(less 5 yrs). They charged me Repair warranty for $420 right away, but they can't find part to replace it. They take my main board out and send out for fix. after they fixed it, other parts are not working. i calle them again. they come forth and back. it takes 4 months to fix. My refrigerator seems ok now, but i don't know how long it will be.

3 0 Reply
SJG444

Feb 25, 2014 #788533

By the way, the whole "tsunami" story sounds more like an urban legend than the truth. I'm sure any computer engineer can look at an existing control board and reconstruct it with his eyes closed!! How ridiculous!! We need a class action law suit!!!!

1 0 Reply

1-20 of 27 comments

Great comment! Would you like to convert it into review?

You will be able to edit the text before publishing.

× You are about to contact PissedConsumer.com

Review submitted through "Contact Us" will not get published on the site or forwarded to Kitchenaid. However, many companies do monitor reviews on our site.

×
You were reading a complaint about Kitchenaid.
Filing a new complaint about
×