KItchenaid is aware their Ovens Often Malfunctions after using Self Cleaning Feature

Nov 25, 2009
review #162871

In anticipation of Thanksgiving I used the self-cleaning feature on my relatively new (2 1/2 years) old Kitchenaid oven today (Model KEBC107KSS05). After I did this, the oven would not heat up. When I called customer service, I learned that this happens with some frequency when the self-cleaning feature is used. I was advised to turn off all power to the oven for 5 minutes and then turn it back on and that it might reset and work again. It did not.

When I called back to customer service, I was told I would need to make arrangements to have a service call to repair the oven. The second representative confirmed that this type of malfunction is something that is not uncommon and she helpfully advised that she had a similar bad experience using the self-cleaning feature on her oven and she just doesn't use that feature any longer.

It is now 7:30 pm on the night before Thanksgiving where 21 people are scheduled to eat dinner at my home and I now have no way to prepare that meal. I feel that Kitchenaid clearly has sold me an appliance touting a feature that it knows has a high likelihood will ENTIRELY DISABLE THE OVEN. I am guessing I am not the only person who has been in this exact situation on either Thanksgiving or Christmas. The least they could do would be to include a warnign in the product materials or on the oven itself not to use the feature if it happens to be really important to be able to use your oven before a technician can get out and repair it.

This is the sort of knowingly untruthful marketing that should result in a class action lawsuit against Kitchenaid. You shouldn't market an oven as having a useable feature, when in fact there is a pretty darn good chance that using that feature will render the entire oven useless and result in the need for an expensive service call.

I suspect when this problem became known to Kitchenaid corporation, there were managers who had the same thought and who decided not to incur the cost of either re-engineering the product or sending a product advisory to customers, in order to avoid expense and bad press. This is not a company or a product that should be supported.

97e3176
Had an experience with KitchenAid?  Submit review ›
Is this your company? Learn about our business solutions
twodogs

Jul 26 Polson, Montana

I have a K/A KCO222OB desktop oven.
Shoddy thermostat (bad rivet - came loose) and the power relay is shot.
Can't find a replacement relay or pcb! Relay is common part I may be able to find, for <$5.
If it's out of warranty, you're SOL.
Disposable consumers, disposable parts.
So sad.

Burned

Apr 07

Same thing here with self-cleaning oven. First time it happened, I did the research, found the problem to be a thermostat. Replaced it, we held off on self cleaning until last night, then same thing. Will re-order thermostat and install. As I recall can be a DIY project, but is a PITA, about hour or so to do. First I will have to find the part, as I unfortunately failed to keep a record of it.

YC

Apr 07

Same thing happened to me. Turned on self clean and now the oven does not work at all. Have to pay to have it repaired. Yes, I'd love to be a part of class action!

Nov 05, 2013

I have the same problem and they keep sending technicians to repair it for one year now, with the result not to have an oven at all! I am in contract with sears and the only thing I have gained is frustration and wasting of my time and money!

Jennie Clayton

Nov 03, 2013 Gainesville, Georgia

This has happened to me, also. It takes over 30 min to preheat after using the cleaning cycle. So so frustrated....angry. Obviously a problem.

Harley guy

Jul 08, 2013 Akron, Ohio

Had the same problem. After several new control panels under warrenty,they gave us a new stove.Now it is doing same thing.

Victim

Mar 19, 2013

My KGSS907SSS02 door-locked and control panel off after self-cleaning 30 minutes for the very first time. I have called service twice without hope of having it fixed without having pay extra $$$. I always thought Kitchenaid is a trust-worthy brand ... very disappointed.

choice

Mar 16, 2013 Collegeville, Pennsylvania

This has just happened to me also. The technician said that when he comes to replace the part he advises people to not use the self-cleaning feature until after a planned holiday meal. - Clearly a known problem! :(

Another Victim

Mar 09, 2013 Mechanicsville, Virginia

Add us to the list. This just happened to us as well. Used the Self Cleaning feature, I think for the second time ever, but for the first time for the default cycle. Once it was done the oven will no longer heat. Glad to see it is probably just a blown thermal fuse. I think I should be able to fix it myself them. I just don't understand why they don't use a thermal fuse that resets when the temperature gets back to normal range.

Yadda

Feb 10, 2013

I just had my oven self district after a self cleaning cycle.

aman

Feb 04, 2013 Orangeville, Ontario

Interesting to find this because I had the exact thing happpen to my new kitchen aid stove:( I just self cleaned and now it wont heat up!!!! Did anyone start one of these law suits??

dam

Jan 28, 2013 Loveland, Colorado

i didnt know my oven came with a self destruct function, wish i would of read this before i tried to clean it..

1 0 Reply
schwartz

Jan 19, 2013

renovated kitchen in 2004 and purchased all kitchenaid appliances. the first year my oven wouldn't heat with a family party gathering, what a disaster. the computer panel had to be replaced. the self cleaning locked the door, couldn't us the oven.repairman removed fuse, now can;t self clean.Microwave had to have the magnatron replaced.Dishwasher hinges were fixed 3 times and door still does not keep closed without a chair holding it closed while cleaning. Ice maker broke and they said it would cost $450 to replace-will use ice trays. Would love to get in on a class action suit for this junk!

bria

Jan 17, 2013 Southfield, Michigan

I built a house in 2006, EVERY single KA appliance i purchased has broken,I own the Architect Series from year 2005, The ice maker on the refrigerator broke within a year. The microwave door springs broke after 2 years, my husband JUST now replaced them himself after paying $80, yep $80 for the parts. The convection gas stove panel went out after 18 months. The wall oven panel went out before the first year which was under warranty. The dishwasher door spring broke after 2 years. I will NEVER buy KA again. It was a midline price product and the salesman tols me the average life of appliances today are about 6 years. Everything is MADE LIKE *** anymore!!. My Whirlpool Duet washer and dryer are 3 years old, just waiting for them to die!!!

ApplianceGuy1

Jan 09, 2013 Odessa, Texas

I work on appliances for a living, and yes, it is a common problem for all Kitchenaid/Whirlpool appliances to go out after self cleaning. They are both the same company. To fix this problem, put on your new thermostat but put a couple of metal washers between the thermostat and the unit. This will prevent it from happening so often.

pierre

Jan 19, 2013 Edmonton, Alberta

thanks! how does one replace the part? Can you provide instructions? thanks!

Michael

Nov 22, 2013

Do not do this! This is defeating the purpose of the fuse or raising the temp. setting. Just do not use the self clean and complain to WP.

Owner of appliance repair co.

Susan

Nov 22, 2012

Three years ago, my Thanksgiving dinner was ruined after I used the self clean cycle on my Whirlpool Gold oven two days before the holiday. The result was an error on the display and no power to the oven. When the service tech came out after Thanksgiving, he replaced the fuse. After he left, I began having problems with the oven overheating and had to place another service call. This time when he came back, he told me that he had to service ovens frequently after the owner had used the oven's self clean cycle. He recommended not using it and using oven cleaner instead. I was outraged because I felt the oven's self clean cycle should work. I was also concerned because oven cleaners are not supposed to be used in self cleaning ovens. He replaced parts and left. I continued to have the problem with my oven overheating and had to contact service again. Before he came, I researched and found that the problem was likely a defective console. I insisted he replace the console when he returned. I did not have any other issues with the oven overheating. Instead, the oven door handle fell off. The stainless steel handle had plastic parts that fit flush to the door and these parts had become brittle when the oven overheated. Because the handle held the outside glass section of the oven door in place, it fell off also. So, I was left with an oven door that was only the inside shell. I did not bother to call service again. It's barely operable but I just don't use it. We just bought a new... Show more

KA sucks!

Nov 05, 2012 Irvine, California

Bought top of the line range. It is 2 years old. I just tried the self cleaning for the forst time and now have ZERO power for range and door is locked to oven. KA said the same ***...pay $80. trip charge and if covered under warranty would cover parts but not labor which is in addition to trip charge.
Is this a fuse? Can I fix it myself?

Steve - Colorado Springs

Sep 23, 2012

Just self cleaned my Kitchenaid oven and it stopped working. Appreciate all of the information about as it appears the fuse is out as the heating element looks good. Won't ever purchase Kitchenaid again.

1-20 of 100 comments

Great comment! Would you like to convert it into review?

You will be able to edit the text before publishing.

×
You were reading a complaint about KitchenAid.
Filing a new complaint about
×