KItchenaid is aware their Ovens Often Malfunctions after using Self Cleaning Feature

In anticipation of Thanksgiving I used the self-cleaning feature on my relatively new (2 1/2 years) old Kitchenaid oven today (Model KEBC107KSS05). After I did this, the oven would not heat up. When I called customer service, I learned that this happens with some frequency when the self-cleaning feature is used. I was advised to turn off all power to the oven for 5 minutes and then turn it back on and that it might reset and work again. It did not.

When I called back to customer service, I was told I would need to make arrangements to have a service call to repair the oven. The second representative confirmed that this type of malfunction is something that is not uncommon and she helpfully advised that she had a similar bad experience using the self-cleaning feature on her oven and she just doesn't use that feature any longer.

It is now 7:30 pm on the night before Thanksgiving where 21 people are scheduled to eat dinner at my home and I now have no way to prepare that meal. I feel that Kitchenaid clearly has sold me an appliance touting a feature that it knows has a high likelihood will ENTIRELY DISABLE THE OVEN. I am guessing I am not the only person who has been in this exact situation on either Thanksgiving or Christmas. The least they could do would be to include a warnign in the product materials or on the oven itself not to use the feature if it happens to be really important to be able to use your oven before a technician can get out and repair it.

This is the sort of knowingly untruthful marketing that should result in a class action lawsuit against Kitchenaid. You shouldn't market an oven as having a useable feature, when in fact there is a pretty darn good chance that using that feature will render the entire oven useless and result in the need for an expensive service call.

I suspect when this problem became known to Kitchenaid corporation, there were managers who had the same thought and who decided not to incur the cost of either re-engineering the product or sending a product advisory to customers, in order to avoid expense and bad press. This is not a company or a product that should be supported.

review #162871
204 170 Helpful?
Had the same issue51 Comments112
Had an experience with KitchenAid?  Submit review about this company
Comment as anonymous As anonymous or Login
OR Is it your business? Respond to your
customers as verified company representative.
Apply for a Free Plan

Jun 14 #994991 Laurel, Maryland

We own several top of the line architectural series Kitchenaid appliances in stainless steel. (Side-by-side built-in Fridge, double digital built-in wall oven, dishwasher, stove, vent, bar fridge etc.) All of them broke down within 2 years of ownership. The worst was the oven. The control panel was replaced 3 times! Now it's broken again and the part id no longer available... this company is criminal and should at the receiving end of a mass-tort lawsuit.

Fade

Mar 02 #953055 Fredericton, New Brunswick

Terrible oven. Motherboard failures common. Looked inside and all resistors were burnt around them. Replaced it with a Bosch.

Me

Feb 08 #942751 Aurora, Ohio

I used the self clean on my oven and it burned up the microwave panel. They did replace the panel for me and said not to use the self clean oven as it gets to hot. Why purchase this feature if it can't be used??? Now I'm having a problem with the oven control panel, the start button won't work so i am without an oven. Will NEVER purchase kitchen aid EVER again.

Me

Feb 08 #942752 Aurora, Ohio

Oh forgot to mention that I'm on my third set of door hinges on the microwave.

Dec 19, 2014 #918348 Doylestown, Pennsylvania

Our Kitchen Aid oven is 1 year old and 2 months ago we used the self cleaning for the first time in 10/14. The bottom of the oven crinkled and we called the dealer . THey said they called Kitchen Aid and they sent someone to take a photo of the problem. When no answer came from the dealer we finally after weeks called Kitchen Aid direct. We spoke to them directly and they said nothing can be done. We bought all of our appliances from this dealer and 3 were Kitchen Aid after a fire. I don't think a less than one year old oven should have this happen. Dealer and Kitchen Aid both refuse to fix the problem. Any suggestions?

Nov 07, 2014 #896826 Windsor, Ontario

When a car has a defect, consumers are notified of this defect and the care is issued a "recall". Why is this not the case with an appliance? At the least, a kitchenaid repair person should be administered and paid for!

twodogs

Jul 26, 2014 #846415 Polson, Montana

I have a K/A KCO222OB desktop oven.
Shoddy thermostat (bad rivet - came loose) and the power relay is shot.
Can't find a replacement relay or pcb! Relay is common part I may be able to find, for <$5.
If it's out of warranty, you're SOL.
Disposable consumers, disposable parts.
So sad.

0 1 Reply
TechMan

Oct 16, 2014 #885774

Not related to the Kitchenaid faulty design in self clean mode.

Burned

Apr 07, 2014 #803016

Same thing here with self-cleaning oven. First time it happened, I did the research, found the problem to be a thermostat. Replaced it, we held off on self cleaning until last night, then same thing. Will re-order thermostat and install. As I recall can be a DIY project, but is a PITA, about hour or so to do. First I will have to find the part, as I unfortunately failed to keep a record of it.

YC

Apr 07, 2014 #802952

Same thing happened to me. Turned on self clean and now the oven does not work at all. Have to pay to have it repaired. Yes, I'd love to be a part of class action!

TechMan

Oct 16, 2014 #885764

DO IT !
Class Action NOW!

rog

Feb 10 #944028 Seattle, Washington

i have spent several hundred dollars fixing the kgss907sss01
Self clean destroyed my stove

Nov 05, 2013 #738114

I have the same problem and they keep sending technicians to repair it for one year now, with the result not to have an oven at all! I am in contract with sears and the only thing I have gained is frustration and wasting of my time and money!

Jennie Clayton

Nov 03, 2013 #737093 Gainesville, Georgia

This has happened to me, also. It takes over 30 min to preheat after using the cleaning cycle. So so frustrated....angry. Obviously a problem.

Harley guy

Jul 08, 2013 #676564 Akron, Ohio

Had the same problem. After several new control panels under warrenty,they gave us a new stove.Now it is doing same thing.

Victim

Mar 19, 2013 #625469

My KGSS907SSS02 door-locked and control panel off after self-cleaning 30 minutes for the very first time. I have called service twice without hope of having it fixed without having pay extra $$$. I always thought Kitchenaid is a trust-worthy brand ... very disappointed.

choice

Mar 16, 2013 #623878 Collegeville, Pennsylvania

This has just happened to me also. The technician said that when he comes to replace the part he advises people to not use the self-cleaning feature until after a planned holiday meal. - Clearly a known problem! :(

Another Victim

Mar 09, 2013 #620674 Mechanicsville, Virginia

Add us to the list. This just happened to us as well. Used the Self Cleaning feature, I think for the second time ever, but for the first time for the default cycle. Once it was done the oven will no longer heat. Glad to see it is probably just a blown thermal fuse. I think I should be able to fix it myself them. I just don't understand why they don't use a thermal fuse that resets when the temperature gets back to normal range.

Yadda

Feb 10, 2013 #606956

I just had my oven self district after a self cleaning cycle.

aman

Feb 04, 2013 #603899 Orangeville, Ontario

Interesting to find this because I had the exact thing happpen to my new kitchen aid stove:( I just self cleaned and now it wont heat up!!!! Did anyone start one of these law suits??

1-20 of 112 comments

Great comment! Would you like to convert it into review?

You will be able to edit the text before publishing.